In 1928, the Charleston Chapter of the Crippled Children’s Society was established to provide educational services for the orthopedically disabled. Not long after, the organization grew to serve children with a wide range of disabilities and special needs, eventually evolving into The Charles Webb Center that we know today. Named after Charles Webb, a well-known advocate in the disabilities and special needs community, the center has been affiliated with numerous organizations over the years.

In 1993, the center became a program of the Disabilities Board of Charleston County and moved from its previous location on Calhoun Street in historic Charleston to its current West Ashley location.